The Yellowknife Curling Centre is hiring!
The Concession/Bar at the YKCC is a central component of the YKCC:
- Members use the lounge area and the concession/bar services to socialize before and after games;
- Supporters and fans use the lounge area and the concession/bar services while encouraging teams during league and tournament events;
- The concession/bar area serves as a point of contact for members wishing to register for special events and purchase Pro-shop equipment; and
- The lounge area and the concession/bar services is used to host events for both members and non-members.
The Lead Bartender will play a lead role in managing the concession/bar services. The successful candidate will be a team leader who will organize staffing needs and communicate key information among the bar staff team. They will have strong organizational skills in order to ensure that the bar/concession is properly stocked; pricing is established and made consistent, problems and concerns are communicated to the YKCC Coordinator (previously named YKCC Manager). They will have strong collaborative and communication skills in order to liaise with the YKCC Coordinator. They will have proven customer service and/or managerial experience. The Lead Bartender will aim to find the balance that provides an enjoyable experience for customers and the membership, a positive fiscal return, and a comfortable, enjoyable place to work.
The Lead Bartender of the YKCC will be an hourly position with part time responsibilities during the curling season, and as needed during the off-season. It is expected that the Lead Bartender will complete some of their duties during two of the regular bartending shifts (e.g., rotating stock, scheduling/communicating with general bar staff, verifying log book, verify bar stock and placing bar order). These shifts are expected to take place during two of the quieter evenings during the regular season (i.e., Tuesday and Thursday, not Friday). In addition, it is expected that the Lead Bartender will work 4-5 hours per week, outside of regular bartending hours, to complete the liquor order pick-up, coordinate delivery/pick-up of snacks for the concession, and communicate with the YKCC Coordinator. Additional hours may be needed to train new bar staff and check-in with general bar staff on other evenings when new procedures are being implemented. Additional hours may also be required to assist with general cleaning at the YKCC (to be discussed/coordinated with the YKCC Coordinator).
The Lead Bartender may work additional evenings or events at the club, but this would be done at the general bar staff rate, unless otherwise approved by the YKCC Coordinator.
Summary of Duties:
- Maintain bar stock: place bar order, pick-up and stock bar order, rotate stock
- Assist with establishing pricing for inventory and ensure consistency in pricing
- Maintain concession stock (i.e., snacks)
- Schedule general bar staff: maintain a regular schedule for general bar staff, schedule bar tenders for special events, maintain a supply list of bartenders who can step in to assist with cancellations
- Train new bar staff
- Communicate key information to bar staff and maintain log book
- Liaise with the YKCC Coordinator
- Other duties that will assist with running an efficient and successful bar/concession
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 3 to 4 years of team-management experience
- Strong customer service experience
- Bartending experience with Smart Serve training.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Budget and cash management experience
- Flexible schedule including daytime hours, evenings and occasional weekends
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Bar management experience